Niagara Falls border crossing update: Tuesday May 7th 2024 @ 11:36am.

This page is updated as needed. Please bookmark for easy reference.

Border Crossing: The Rainbow Bridge between Niagara Falls New York USA and Niagara Falls Ontario Canada is open twenty four hours a day seven days a week every day of the year. Typically there are no delays yet you can check the current border crossing time and traffic conditions beforehand. You must provide a valid passport when travelling between countries. More information regarding passport requirements posted below.

CROSSING THE BORDER TO NIAGARA FALLS CANADA – Travel to Canada by US citizens no longer requires proof of vaccination for visitors from the USA arriving by land. Use the official Canada Border Services web app to determine if you can enter Canada. 

CROSSING THE BORDER TO NIAGARA FALLS USA – All persons are required to show proof of citizenship when entering the USA by land. Canadians who travel to the USA by land are not required to provide proof of vaccination at the US border.

For official information please use the links provided below.

NOTICE – This website is privately owned and is not an “official” governmental website. We collate and display information which is as current as possible. Rules and regulations change quickly and if you have further questions we highly recommend you contact the appropriate border agency by telephone to guarantee validity.



We receive many inquires about crossing the Rainbow Bridge on foot to Canada. You must have your passport or required identification. If you plan on being dropped off at the bridge the best location is the corner of Prospect Street and Niagara Street in Niagara Falls NY. Use 1 Niagara Street Niagara Falls NY for mapping purposes.

Are you picking up passengers by car in Canada after they walk across the Rainbow Bridge?  The easiest way to meet them is to have them follow the sidewalk and stairs detailed in the image below. Directions to the parking location can be obtained in Google maps by using the following address:  “5827 River Rd, Niagara Falls, ON, Canada”.

Niagara Falls Border crossing information, passport information and identification requirements for Niagara Falls border crossing. 

U.S. Citizens returning to the U.S. after visiting Niagara Falls Canada are required to provide a US passport, passport card or an enhanced drivers license at the inspection checkpoint. Enhanced licenses are available only for residents of NY,MI,VT & WA. Therefore…if you are a U.S. citizen living in the U.S. and cross the border to Canada and attempt to re-enter the U.S. you will need one of the above listed forms of identification. NO EXCEPTIONS!

Children that are U.S. citizens under the age of 16 travelling from the U.S. to Canada and returning to the U.S. by land or sea (car or boat) are not required to have passports. An original or certified copy of their birth certificate is required. If the children are not yours you must provide a signed hand written note by the parent indicating how long the child will be in the country along with telephone numbers for the parents. You will be denied entry if you are lacking proper documentation. A printed copy of the parents license/passport can help too. Visit the U.S. State department website for more information.

If you have ever been charged with a DUI (driving under the influence) in the U.S. or convicted of a minor offense you may be denied entry to Canada regardless of how long it has been. There has been a significant number of travelers denied entry even for minor infractions. Click here for more information.

For official US border crossing information visit this link. The previous link changes often and you may need to start your search here:

If you are an international traveler and need information on entering the US please visit this link.

For official Canadian border crossing info visicanada border services.

VISA INFORMATION – If you are an international traveler and not sure if you need a tourist visa click here.  If you know that you are required to apply for a visa to visit Canada you can do it here.

Persons wishing to travel to Canada who are not U.S. citizens (ie: foreigner) may be required to get a tourist visa from the Canadian consulate in the country from which they are arriving from. If you are in the USA on a visa and wish to visit Canada while in New York there is no Canadian consulate located in Niagara Falls. YOU CANNOT OBTAIN A TOURIST VISA AT ANY OF THE BORDER CROSSINGS. When contacting the Consul, inform them that you wish to obtain a “temporary resident visa”. As of February 2024 the fee per person is $100.00 for a single entry visa, $150 for a multiple entry visa or $500 for a family (multiple or single entry). For online information visit the Canadian Consul Website.

DECLARING PURCHASES – If you make purchases and travel between Niagara Falls Ontario and Niagara Falls New York be sure to save your receipts. When crossing the international border you will be required to declare all purchases. Certain items may be taxable or you may qualify for tax refunds. Please visit the duty free stores located at the bridges between the U.S. and Canada for more information.

INTERNATIONAL BRIDGES – Although border security has increased significantly, crossing of either the Rainbow bridge or the Queenston/Lewiston Bridge are back to usual transit times. Expect one hour delays on holidays including Canada Day, Fourth of July and Labor day weekend.

There are three International bridges between the U.S. and Canada within 6 mi /9.6 km  of the Falls.

500 yards/ 457 m from the American Falls is theRainbow Bridge” which offers a spectacular view of the Falls. There is no commercial traffic allowed. You can walk, bike or drive across.

1.8 mi/ 2.9 km  north of the Falls is the “Whirlpool Bridge”. Only NEXUS cardholders can use the Whirlpool bridge.

5.6 mi/9 km north of the Falls is the “Lewiston-Queenston Bridge”. This bridge is for all types of vehicles. Bicycles are allowed but not recommended.

Bridge status traveling into Canada

Bridge status traveling into the U.S.

Official Niagara Falls Bridges information click here

When crossing the international border be sure to bring a valid passport. You may be denied entry if you are lacking proper documentation.

PETS – For travelers visiting Niagara Falls with their pets. Dogs are welcome in the park areas as long as they are leashed and cleaned up after. If you plan on crossing the border with a pet you may be asked to provide a current vaccination certificate. Most hotels do not allow pets. If you are interested in bringing your pet into Canada please visit the official Canada Inspection page. If you are interested in bringing your pet into the United States please visit the United States Department of Agriculture’s website. Only official guide dogs are permitted on certain attractions (therapy pets are not included).